7fe2be5ead3228bed87579cbfc3c445a.jpg

The first step was to remove a center section of the SD45 shell.  This was needed because the GP40PH-2 shell is shorter than an SD45.

e9a13df0a8247b1fc46f76206e292678.jpg
4162d0edbf6ead6d5002aa44ed71403d.jpg

Next I used a #80 drill bit to make holes for the brass grab irons.  This included me having to remove the molded on grab irons.

Next I used a small drill bit to remove the molded on fans so I could add my own see-through fans on later.  The picture on the far right shows the GP40 shell next to it.  I actually realized I'd need to remove the top two middle fan housings completely and put the three fans from the GP40 in their place in order to get the proper spacing.

4b221e800e4601ec230c09d61af6db04.jpg
b29982034d2f390800b6377f80052de2.jpg
ae5e7906cb80ef12ec38ee94ff43411e.jpg
8f37e241773a6da4b4853ef096925aeb.jpg

Here's the picture of the GP40 fan housings added to the SD45 shell.

Time to join the two halves

c57b035d212960a238de5fe8d104d29b.jpg
acbcfdc89cdef74902ba216632b5ff09.jpg
d729716e7b05121e2aca144add62a84f.jpg

Next I used White Squadron putty to fill the seam and level out the roof.  This required a fair amount of sanding to make it nice and smooth and flush

e50b62007fc3f59ce78090e74b69ccc5.jpg
4c6bc8ec4fa09d18ee1abfbc8cbb4097.jpg

Grab Irons Installed

c6a0dfb0c88d0e803f89ff318cea19ee.jpg

Pictures:

     Top:      Fan housings painted black for depth

     Middle: Top with fan grills installed

     Bottom: Fan assembly from inside

1b5491a82391c6141c70d89c0951bef7.jpg
43bf372e0e38de2badf0c93c567e8d2f.jpg

Air conditioner Unit Assembled

2e817a7983e18c2a352bb01e93fcb01b.jpg
429b0b51c74c79a980ecb81b6e8d3121.jpg

Checking assembled cowl with the frame

9584dda4a08aae3acb4bc05e21907f10.jpg

Pictures of details prior to final assembly

2f280c12a2c1dd2ed9f9c32635c1ea26.jpg
f2d2dd597c6267e3427194e9d35ec27c.jpg
DSC06265.jpg
690ac029f33c3663e3c33ba66ab9c658.jpg

I painted a piece of thin styrene black and clued it to the roof of the cab.  This was done to help prevent light leakage where the cowl meets the cab.

cce64de00ab48fdaa0c574914eb642ad.jpg
43b168f1d8e59ec026f92bff79c949e9.jpg

The shell bowed in slightly where the two halves met and there was slight contact with the morrow.  I added some styrene pieces around the motor to prevent the contact.

Here are pictures of the finished model

1/20

NJ Transit GP40PH-2 Loco 1